It’s been slow-going getting the hang of my new school and homework schedule, but I finally treated myself to a few hours of sewing last Sunday. I thought I would do a little work on my Marc Jacobs petticoat–pettis are easy, and with the way school has been challenging me, I’ll take minimal brain damage, thankyouverymuch!
I snapped a few photos of the mantua-maker’s stitch, which I learned when I was visiting the Margaret Hunter Millinery in Colonial Williamsburg last March. I’m not sure if I’m doing it 100% accurately (it’s been six months!), but the end results worked for me, so I thought I would share.
As a reminder, here is the fabric I’m using:
I wanted to preserve the print, so I decided the seam line should be down the center stripe. I arranged my fabric so that the prints lined up on both sides. Then I ran a long, loose, basting stitch just about 1/8″ above where I wanted my actual seam line to be. The basting seam acts like pins.
I trimmed the seam allowance, then turned everything over twice, encasing the raw edge. Then I used a whip stitch catching all layers of the fabric where I wanted my seam line to be. You could probably get a way with a much smaller encased seam allowance than the half-inch I ended up with.
The right side before pressing. You can hardly see the seam line!