My 18th century shoes had been in a dire situation for a long time! I have a pair of black Fugawees, which I love, but I actually prefer to wear them with everyday clothes than with costumes. I had also tried covering shoes using Loren’s fantastic tutorial and had made two pairs using the Dyeable Grace model, but they are more or less…sloppy. So I knew I needed a beautiful high heel to wear with my pretty new dresses in France.
Then this lovely shoe kept popping up in my Pinterest feed:
And I remembered this glorious silk brocade I had seen in the Garment District:
And thus, an Evil Plan was born! I once again used Loren’s tutorial, but with much better workmanship this time. For the base, I used a dance shoe from Apple Dance Shoes. The heel isn’t perfect, it’s a little too skinny, but I could always go back and thicken it up with some Sculpey and cover it with fabric. But I’m pretty happy with the results. I just wish I had some honest-to-goodness shiny shoe buckles–those are just oval buckles I found for cheap in the Garment District. The brocade was a beast to work with, as all the fibers making up the strawberry motifs are not secured at all. If I do these again, I might consider stitching around each strawberry to secure them.
But I’m pretty happy!